Top 10 Mother's Day Gifts
Relax; we're here to help!
If you're reading this, you're in a club no one wants to be a member of. The club of those who haven't yet gotten a present for their mom for Mother's Day in 2012. Never fear, here are 10 quick and easy last minute Mother’s Day gift suggestions to steer you away from the Valley of Shame and Regret.
1. Homemade gift certificates - Take a pen, some colored paper and start creating gift certificates she can redeem for a lunch, a visit, a shopping trip, a certain number of phone calls, whatever your mother enjoys. Maybe she wants you to weed the garden, put that in as well.
2. A gesture of love – There are lots of reasons you love your mother. Write some of them on small pieces of paper, fold up the papers and send her a box with the papers inside. She’ll be opening them for hours, stopping to smile as she unfolds each one.
3. Call her up and sing a silly song that triggers a pleasant memory. – It could be the theme to Sesame Street or a song your family sang while driving on family vacations. Be prepared for a scream if you launch into “99 Bottles of Beer.”
4. Flowers - Predictable? Yes. Lovely? Yes. A good last minute gift idea? Yes. You can check the Athens Patch directory, find a florist and then get your mom some flowers.
5. Dedicate a book in her honor – Did your mother read to you? Of course she did. Dedicate a book in her honor at the public library. This is a great way to show your love, to your mom and to other readers.
6. Sponsor a dog in your mother’s name – Does your mom have a dog or cat? You can get her another companion friend without actually bringing one home. For $50 you can sponsor a dog in your mom’s name through Operation Second Chance’s Jail House Dogs. Sponsors get a certificate when "their" dog is adopted. Make your mom happy while helping dogs, it's a win-win.
7. Chocolates, candies or other sweets – Say no more. this is a quick and easy gift for last minute shoppers. Just make it chocolate.
8. Cook something special - If you can't get a reservation at your mom’s favorite restaurant, cook her dinner at your house or maybe just whip up a special treat like Magical Chocolate Cookie Bars.
9. Have a Memorial in Your Mom's Name - The State Botanical Garden has an array of trees and benches available for gifts made in your mother's name. This isn't an inexpensive option, but you can plant a tree in her yard or yours to honor her as well.
10. Give her a memory book - Better give her a note that this one is coming. There are many online services that will help you turn those files and folders of photos into books that your mother can show to her less computer savvy friends. This gift may be the best, and is the most time-consuming.