Well, Market-eers, we finally made it. The boots are out and the brisk morning air quenches my lungs like the first sip of cold water after a long day in the sun. All over Athens, scarecrows are popping up among rolling pumpkin patches to announce the coming of a long awaited change that, in the final sweaty months of summer, seemed might never come: FALL!
There’s something undeniably romantic about this particular season change and it’s always difficult for me to decipher just which part of fall that I look forward to the most. Perhaps it’s the way the night air smells of roasting logs, or the way children run excitedly through fields to pick out the perfect pumpkin to carve. Perhaps it’s the way friends huddle around backyard fire pits or the fuzzy wool socks that slip perfectly into my favorite pair of winter boots.
This Sunday, the Athens Farmers Market is once again helping to usher in the beloved season with its second annual Autumn Harvest Feast. The festivities will begin at 4:00 at The Hill, where ten of Athens' finest local chefs will prepare locally produced ingredients sourced from the Athens Farmers Market for a truly amazing shared meal. The menu has been set and, folks, my mouth has been watering since the second it was posted.
Peter Dale - The National
- Red Mule grits with turnips and their greens
- Roasted carrots, radishes, pea shoots, peanut dressing
Dean Neff - Five and Ten
- pate de campagna with local radish and mustard
- arugula salad with sorghum roasted sweet potatoes, fennel, ricotta, and sumac-buttermilk
Jessica Rothacker - Heirloom Cafe
- local Darby Farm chicken leg and thigh confit, romesco sauce, roasted garlic, & rosemary
Whitney Otawka - Farm 255
- House made ricotta, roasted beet preserves, caraway crackers
Emmanuel Stone - Harry's Pig Shop
- Local BPH pork BBQ
Josh Aaron - The Savory Spoon
- Napa cabbage cup filled with beet, zephyr squash, green onion, and watermelon radish, arugula pesto
Aaron Phillips - The Last Resort Grill
- Local lamb, Persian style
Sarah Dunning - Formerly of Gymnopedie
- Garden Lasagna
Mimi Maumus - home.made catering
- baby collards with chili braised butternut squash and pickled peperonata
Matt Palmerlee - The Branded Butcher
- Radishes, Hakurei turnips, local honey, herbs
The royal feast will accompany a night of festivities including a silent auction and guest speaker and Wholesome Wave champion, Hugh Acheson. There will also be a fantastic local band, The String Theory, which will perform during the evening for your listening and dancing pleasure.
All proceeds from the evening will benefit Wholesome Wave Georgia, a non-profit which sponsors the Athens Farmers Market's Double Value Coupon Program. Since 2010, this program has made immediate increases in the access to local, sustainable, and wholesome food for nutrition assistance recipients by doubling the value of SNAP dollars at the Athens Farmers Market.
Sunday is coming fast! Buy your tickets now and join us for a beautiful autumn evening of incredible food, live music, good friends and a worthy cause. You can’t lose!
To Order, click HERE!