The Athens Area Humane Society is looking for a detail-oriented and motivated team player who is excited to make a difference in the lives of animals and people alike. The job of an Animal Caretaker is hard work that includes cleaning and sanitizing cages, cleaning out litter boxes and treating animals for illness as well as helping to socialize the animals. This can be an incredibly rewarding position for the right individual.
The Zeus House, 1781 Mars Hill Road, Watkinsville, GA 30677
Must be available Saturday 9am-5pm, Sunday 9am-1pm and 5-5:30pm, and some holidays. These hours are not flexible so please be sure you can work during all times listed before you apply.
Duties and responsibilities include:
Duties include animal care and cleaning, facility cleaning and maintenance, and minimal office work
Will treat and care for shelter animals, including vaccinations, testing, and temperament evaluations
- High school diploma
Some office skills required
Excellent people and communication skills needed; must be tactful and compassionate in dealing with customers
Must have some cat care experience and knowledge of cat behavior and handling; veterinary technician experience helpful but not required
Must be able to lift 25lbs, 50lbs with assistance, and be able
to work in an environment that includes cats, rabbits, birds, other small animals, dust, and cleaning solutions.
- Must be self-motivated and willing to take initiative and able to work independently
- Must be able to spend time on your knees while cleaning bottom cages
- Must be able to change litter and come into contract with fecal matter � pregnant women should check with their doctor regarding the risk of Toxoplasmosis before applying
- Purchasing animal supplies at cost
- One free adoption or spay/neuter surgery per year worked
- 401(k) matching program
- Paid vacation
- Benefits begin to accrue on hiring, and may be claimed after 3 months
- Group health insurance is available, and can begin 1 month after hiring
- A one month probationary period will apply, with preliminary evaluation to take place at the end of the month