Part Time position
17 hours per week
$9.00 per hour
A Weekend Rotation Schedule that is set includes various shifts between the hours of 9:30 am and 6 pm, with different shift hours for each of the 5 rotating weeks. Position requires schedule flexibility to accommodate irregularly scheduled weekend programs.
Part Time schedule 17 hours each week. Weekends required.
During job interview, candidate must create a publicity document using Microsoft Publisher, using library computer. Document will include text, imported photos and images from an outside source, such as a webpage or Facebook page, font changes, background colors, layout design clarity.
If you need to brush up on Publisher, the library offers a free tutorial through Learning Express Library. You can log into Learning Express Library from home with your library card number. Once you are on the site, choose "Popular Software Tutorials" from the menu on the left, and then choose "Microsoft Publisher Courses." There are also free tutorials on GCF LearnFree.org.
Purpose and Scope
This 17/hrs/wk part-time position provides information, reference, and genealogy services, in addition to adult programming and publicity at the Oconee County Library. The position also performs other routine, supportive duties at the Oconee County Library. Evening and weekend hours are required. This position requires dependability, tact, knowledge of library policies and procedures and the ability to work as part of a team. The ability to start, finish or pick up work projects at various points, without direct supervision, is vital. This position reports directly to the Librarian, Oconee County Libraries.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The following are normal, but not exclusive or all-inclusive, expectations for this position. Other duties may be required and assigned, and duties may change in the future:
- Upholds all library policies, including the Patron Responsibilities and Conduct statement; monitors and responds to safety and security of library patrons and campus; reports situations according to outlined procedures
- Assists and instructs library patrons in Genealogy and Ivy Room of Oconee County Library activities, and Information needs, including using the library's catalog and databases, plans (using ARLS guidelines) and presents genealogy classes to public, learns the programs such as Ancestry Library Edition, Heritage Quest Online and Fold3 Genealogy and History Archives.
- Provides support in many areas of daily library operations, including opening and closing the library; basic facility maintenance and housekeeping; organizing and re-shelving materials; accepting fees and fines; routing holds, loans and information; materials processing; and performing basic office duties
- Works with the Branch Manager and ARLS advising staff to plan, implement and present public programs and classes for adults and to create displays, exhibits and bulletin boards
- Designs and implements publicity for all library programs, both in-house and media.
- Produces a monthly calendar of all library programs with assistance of a Circulation Clerk.
- Supervises annual federal and state tax forms service at the library.
- Arranges for art displays in public spaces of Oconee County Library.
- May direct operations of the library in the absence of the Manager, being responsible for opening and closing the library
- May train and oversee library volunteers as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must be able to use word processing software, Microsoft Publisher, and library catalogs. Position requires attention to detail and accuracy in a busy, fast-paced work environment.
- Knowledge of customer service principles and skill in providing customer service to patrons of all ages as well as to co-workers
- Personal computer proficiency and the ability to use, understand and assist patrons with various computer applications
- Aptitude for training patrons in use of personal computers
- Knowledge of basic library operational principles and practices and application of ARLS and branch policies, procedures and activities
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills and ability to communicate successfully with patrons and staff
- Organizational skills and the ability to prioritize assignments and activities
- Knowledge of all normal and emergency library building procedures
- Knowledge of basic office principles and skill in performing office support, including ability to collect cash money and make correct change
- Aptitude for creative projects such displays, crafts, decorations and publicity
- Ability to maintain regular, predictable and punctual attendance
- (ADA)Minimum Qualifications or Standards Required to Perform Essential Job Functions
- Physical Requirements: Must be physically able to operate a variety of machinery & equipment including computer, telephone, copy machine & Audio/Video equipment. Must be able move or carry objects or materials. Must be able to exert up to 30 pounds of force occasionally, &/or up to 15 pounds force frequently. Physical demand requirements are at levels of those of sedentary work.
- Data Conception: Requires the ability to compare &/or judge readily observable functional, structural, or compositional characteristics (whether similar to or divergent from obvious standards) or data, people, or things.
- Interpersonal Communication: Requires the ability to speak &/or signal people to convey or exchange information. Includes giving/receiving assignments &/or directions.
- Language Ability: Requires ability to read a variety of records, notices, lists, manuals & informational documentation, directions, instructions, & methods & procedures. Requires the ability to prepare schedules, records, reports & logs using prescribed formats & conforming to all rules of punctuation, grammar, diction, & style. Requires the ability to speak to people with poise, voice control, & confidence.
- Intelligence: Requires the ability to learn & understand basic principles & techniques; to acquire & be able to expound on knowledge of topics related to primary occupation; & to make independent judgment in the absence of management.
- Verbal Aptitude: Requires the ability to record & deliver information, to explain procedures, & to follow oral & written instructions. Must be able to communicate effectively & efficiently.
- Numerical Aptitude: Requires the ability to utilize mathematical formulas; add & subtract totals; multiply & divide & utilize determine percentages.
- Form/Spatial Aptitude: Requires the ability to inspect items for proper length, width, & shape, visually with computer, telephone, copy machine & Audio/Video equipment.
- Motor Coordination: May require the ability to coordinate hands & eyes in using a computer, telephone & other office equipment.
- Manual Dexterity: Requires the ability to handle a variety of items such as computer, telephone, copy machine & Audio/Video equipment. Must have the ability to use one hand for twisting or turning motion while coordinating other hand with different activities. Must have minimal levels of eye/hand/foot coordination.
- Color Discrimination: Requires the ability to differentiate between colors & shades of color.
- Interpersonal Temperament: Requires the ability to deal with people beyond giving & receiving instructions. Must be adaptable to performing under moderate stress when confronted with an emergency.
- Physical Communication: Requires the ability to talk &/or hear: (Talking = expressing or exchanging ideas by means of spoken words). (Hearing = perceiving nature of sounds by ear).
Minimum Training and Experience
High school diploma or equivalent required, with college degree or college experience preferred. At least one year experience working with public is required, with library experience preferred. Or, any equivalent combination of education, training and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills and abilities for the position. Knowledge of genealogy and Microsoft Publisher are much preferred, as well.
Athens Regional Library System is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The Library is a drug-free workplace and requires a pre-employment drug test and eVerify approval.
Submit online job application and 3 references to Human Resource Department, Athens-Clarke County Library .
Deadine: open until filled.