Reported by Athens-Clarke County Police
- Around 12:30 a.m. on July 9 officers responded to a motor vehicle accident on Firewood Street near Reed Street. They found a 1996 Chevrolet Caprice that had left the roadway and struck a tree. During this time the vehicle owner called to report his vehicle stolen. Investigation revealed the man left the scene after the accident. An officer had contact with him and after a foot chase, he was apprehended in the Lexington Road/Whit Davis Road area. Cronston Antonio Bryant and his three passengers were transported to Athens Regional Medical Center. After treatment, Bryant, 30, of Fairground Road in Lexington, was arrested and charged with DUI, False Report of a Crime, Obstructing/Hindering LEO, Seat Belt Violation, Reckless Driving, Hit and Run, Suspended/Revoked License, and Failure to Maintain Lane/Improper Driving on a Roadway.
- Officers responded to the area of Cambridge Apartments, around 2:55 a.m. on July 9 in reference to an attempted robbery that had just occurred. A St. Andrews Court resident said while in a dark area of the complex, two males in hoodies ran up to her and demanded money. She said she struck one suspect in the head with her backpack. The other suspect shoved her to the ground causing her to injury her knee and hands. Both suspects fled on foot toward the back of the complex. The suspect’s descriptions were given to officers. Knowing there is a path in the complex that leads to International Drive, an officer drove to that location and waited. A short time later, he saw two males enter the complex running through a pedestrian gate. He gave verbal commands for them to stop but they continued running. Officers set up a perimeter and another officer located the males crouched on an upper balcony of one of the buildings. They were taken into custody. A show-up was conducted but the victim was unable to make a positive identification. Although not charged for the attempted robbery, Asa Smith, 19, Glen Ave, Winder, and Demetrius Newmuis, 19, Buckingham Terrace, were arrested and charged with Obstruction. EMS responded and checked the victim’s injuries but she was not transported to the hospital.
- A Spring Valley Road resident said he was walking to his vehicle on College Avenue near Hoyt Street around 12:30 a.m. on July 8. He said a black male armed with a handgun approached and demanded his wallet. He complied and the suspect also took his cell phone. He said the suspect was wearing a stocking over his head and face. He was 18 to 25 years of age, with dark skin and short hair; he wore red pants but no shirt. The suspect told him to leave so he entered his vehicle and left. The wallet and contents were valued at $14; no value was given for the phone. This was not reported until around 2:15 p.m.
- An attempt was made to enter an Ashmore Drive residence between 4 p.m. and 4:20 p.m. on July 8.
- A vacant Frederick Drive residence was burglarized between 9 a.m. June 28 and 9 a.m. July 5. Tools valued at $20 were stolen. This was reported on July 8.
- A Jefferson Place residence was burglarized between 12 p.m. July 6 and 12 p.m. July 8. Cash and a TV with a total value of $770 were stolen.
- When a woman arrived at her Biscayne Drove residence around 8 p.m. on July 8, she hear a loud crash from the back of the house. She exited and called 911. When officers arrived, they cleared the residence but did not find anyone inside. It is believed the woman scared the suspect(s) off when she arrived. Nothing is known missing.