ATHENS-CLARKE COUNTY POLICE DEPARTMENT
April 3, 2014
Prepared by Hilda Sorrow
- After an investigation by the Drug Task Force, Cosby Demeechi Winfrey, 27, Fourth St, and Tyreece Napolean Smith, 27, Kennedy Cir, were arrested on April 2 on Strickland Ave and charged with Possession with Intent to Distribute Marijuana. Winfrey was also charged with Possession with Intent to Distribute Schedule I/II, Possession with Intent to Distribute Schedule III/IV/V, Suspended/Revoked License, Fleeing/Attempting to Elude, and Reckless Driving. Smith was also charged with Obstructing/Hindering.
ACCIDENT WITH INJURY
- Carly Philips, 24, Columbus, OH, was riding a bicycle north bound on Lumpkin St. Near the Smith St intersection, the front tire struck the curb causing her to lose control and fall. Phillips was transported to Athens Regional Medical Center. No citations were issued in this accident which occurred around 7:30 a.m. April 2.
- The woman said her roommate heard someone pushing on the basement door of their Morton Ave residence around 5 a.m. April 2. Maintenance personnel had repaired the cracked door before the officer arrived.
- Officers responded to a burglary in progress at a Jefferson River Rd residence around 11 a.m. April 2. A witness saw three males exit the residence with a TV. After placing it in a white vehicle, they left and were last seen traveling toward Garnett Ridge. The suspects were described as 17 to 22 years of age, about 5’, skinny, with medium dark complexion, and short afros. They wore yellow gloves. Two suspects wore all black clothing; the third wore black and white fatigues. The vehicle was possibly a 4-door Chevrolet Aveo with a Georgia handicap tag. Officers did not locate the vehicle or suspects. The investigation continues.
- A Carlton man said he is in the process of moving from a Burgundy Ct residence. Between 5 p.m. March 31 and 5:45 p.m. April 2 the location was burglarized. TVs valued at $1,000 were stolen. A possible suspect was named.
- Between 8 p.m. March 30 and 8 a.m. March 31 a hole digger, generator, blower, saw, and ladder with a total value of $3,500 were stolen from a storage shed at Big Dawg, 265 Epps Bridge Ln. This was reported on April 2. A suspicious vehicle has been seen in the area for the last several days. When the business owner has tried to confront the driver, he leaves quickly. The vehicle is an orange, older model Chevrolet pickup truck with large chrome rims.
- A Jennings Mill Rd residence was burglarized between 6:20 p.m. and 10:40 p.m. April 2. A TV and laptop valued at $1,300 were stolen.