Athens-Clarke County Police news releases, July 14
- Around 11:30 a.m. on July 13 officers responded to several male subjects spray-painting railroad cars in the area of Jefferson Road and Homewood Drive. The first officer to arrive saw two individuals and called out to them to stop. Both subjects stopped and started walking away. He called out to them again and they started running. One entered a nearby wooded area and the other continued down the tracks. His description was given to other officers. After a brief pursuit, the first male was apprehended in the area of Loop 10/Chase Street. The second subject was not located. Erik Eliel Martinez, 26, of Cumming, was arrested and charged with second degree Criminal Damage and Obstruction/Hindering LEO.
- An officer responded to a complaint of a suspicious person on Rolling Ridge Drive around 5:10 a.m. on July 14. Upon arrival he saw a male walking in the breezeway of one of the buildings. Contact was made with Tyrone Stewart, Jr., who said a relative lived in one of the apartments; however, he would not give the name or apartment number. He could not give a reasonable explanation as to why he was walking in the area. It was learned he had been warned not to be on the Rolling Ridge property and he was arrested. Stewart, 25, was charged with Loitering/Prowling and Criminal Trespass.
- An Athens woman said she and a person known had an argument at a Fairway Drive residence around 12:05 a.m. on July 14. She said she got a bat to defend herself. She said that during the argument, she and the suspect struggled over the bat and she was struck in the mouth causing a tooth to fall out. The woman went to St. Mary’s Hospital and police were notified. The residence was checked but the suspect had left.
- A Pepperidge Lane residence was burglarized between 9 p.m. July 11 and 9 p.m. July 13. A laptop, handguns, and a rifle were stolen. The total value was $3,250.
- A Dubose Avenue residence was burglarized between 7:30 p.m. and 8:30 p.m. on July 13. A portfolio containing artwork valued at $1,000 was stolen.
- A Sycamore Drive residence was burglarized between 7:30 p.m. July 11 and 12:10 a.m. July 14. A laptop, clothing, and shoes valued at $201 were stolen. A possible suspect was named.