The program recognizes outstanding high school varsity football student-athletes around Georgia who show strong leadership skills on and off the field. The program encourages these teenagers to continue to lead in their communities.
Each season, the Falcons honor 10 varsity football student-athletes who excel on the field, in the classroom and in their communities. Members of the USA Football staff select the winners. To be considered a Falcons Captain in the Community presented by Russell Athletic, the student-athlete must meet the following criteria:
- 3.0 or higher grade point average
- Voluntary community service record (i.e. camp instructor, participation in school food drive/toys for tots program, mission trips, visits to nursing homes/hospitals, involvement with Boys & Girls Club/YMCA programs or other service projects.)
All Captains in the Community presented by Russell Athletic are listed on atlantafalcons.com/community and their school receives a $1,000 grant in the student-athlete’s name to support future community initiatives.
Other winners include:
- Daniel McCrary, a quarterback at Lumpkin County High School in Dahlonega, GA
- Wade Whitley, an offensive and defensive tackle at Atkinson County High School in Pearson, GA
- A.J. Wells, a kicker and punter at Marion County High School in Buena Vista, GA
- Michael Santamaria, a kicker, quarterback and punter at Athens Academy in Athens, GA