The Clarke County School District
5th Annual Young Scientists’ Fair is scheduled Saturday, March 22 at Alps Road
Elementary School in Athens.
The event is scheduled 8:30 a.m. until 11:30 a.m.
This event for families and students in grades Kindergarten-5 is full of science competitions and hands-on activities. The fair will include:
- The CCSD Elementary Science Fair, where K-5 students do independent research in the areas of Life Science (including Biology), Physical Science (including Chemistry and Physics), Earth Science (including Geology and Astronomy), Engineering and Environmental Science.
- Clarke Invents, where students design and explain an invention that solves a problem. The product will consist of a drawing or model of the invention, and a written explanation of how it works.
- A Science Art Exhibit, with categories identical to the Science Fair.
- Athens Aeronautics, where individual students create paper airplanes using provided materials. There will be three separate competitions: overall distance, accuracy (closest to a spot on the floor) and aerobatics.
- Athens Builds, where student teams of four create Kleenex bridges to span an 18” gap between two tables. The winner will be the bridge that supports the most weight.
- The Tower of Athens, where student teams of four try to build the tallest free-standing tower using only paper, scissors and tape.
- Besides these competitions, there will be a full day of family fun complete with hands-on science activities, demonstrations and shows.